Tankless Water Heaters
In order to buy tankless water heaters, you need to get as much information as possible about it. In case if all the details are clear, you’ll be able to make the nest choice. All the basic advantages and disadvantages of the device must be clear.
General information: design, operation type and installation
The main feature of tankless water heaters is that they start to heat the water immediately after the device is turned on. So the water is already warm, when it comes to the point of water intake. Usually as the energy source is used a gas burner or heating element. Rarely it’s possible to see solid fuel devices. But no matter what heating element is used, there are no bulky storage tanks in the design. So no big surprise, that these devices are widely used nowadays. They look esthetic and as the same time easy cope with the problem of water heating.
Standard tankless water heaters can be compared with a rectangular container with a weight about 2-3 kg, 10-12 cm deep and 30-32 cm long. Due to such compact dimensions, it’s possible to install them on partitions and walls in such a way that they won’t block access to other equipment.
The process of heating water in tankless water heaters is much faster than in cumulative installations. This is possible due to the fact that the power of the heating elements is much higher. You can get hot water in already 12-15 minutes.
Basic and additional systems
The tankless water heater controls the temperature of the water, raising it strictly in accordance with the parameters, which were chosen by the owner of the equipment. Shortly speaking, the danger of getting burnt because of high temperature of water is completely excluded. So these devices are absolutely safe and can be used been in the families with small lids, which pay big attention to the question of safety.
Equipment may have additional systems, such as electronic control. The monitor will reflect all the necessary information:
- capacity of heating elements;
- power consumption;
- temperature of water, etc.
In case of damages and failures (for example, the water began to heat up, exceeding the specified value), the security system will react, and on the monitor will appear a corresponding message.
A few words about the choice of capacity…
The tankless water heater can successfully cope with such main task, as to heat the liquid in the required quantity to the desired temperature. But in order to work properly and fully satisfy the needs of the family, it must have the optimum power for your case. The figure varies from 3 kW to 27 kW. So, as it can be seen, there is a big choice for any case.
Useful advices about the choice of capasity:
- For apartment with a three-phase voltage of 380V is better to choose a model with a capacity of 8-27 kW;
- In a house with a single-phase voltage of 220V, you can buy a heater of 3-8 kW, then connect it to any outlet;
- In old type house you need to install equipment with a capacity of up to 3 kW.
It is not recommended to exceed the specified values for safety and security of household appliances. If the device fails due to overloading of the power line, the original warranty will not work.
Main pros and operational advantages
Any tankless water heater, no matter where it was produced, specific technical parameters and price, will have the following characteristic advantages:
- Relatively light weight and small size. Thanks to this, both transportation and equipment installation are faster and easier. Self-installation and configuration of the device is available. However, in order not to lose the guarantee of the manufacturing company, the installation should be done by professionals;
- A wide range of models, different in any technical parameters, cost, basic and additional options and design, including color solutions;
- If you use a heater only from time to time, for example, at a cottage or in apartments with a rare shutdown of the centralized water supply, choose a tankless water heater. It will consume electricity only when it works;
- The volume of heated water will be as you need at the moment. Flowing technology heats the liquid without any restrictions, unlike its accumulative “competitor”. As you know, the amount of water is limited by the size of the storage tank. Turn on the flow heater, and the heated water will flow until you turn off the appliance;
You won’t have problems with the place of installation. As we have said, there is no heavy tank in construction. For the same reason, installation can be carried out both in the bathroom and in any other room, for example, in the boiler room. There are no any special requirements to the wall for installation.
The tankless water heater, unlike tank ones, do not require regular cleaning. They are easy not only to operate, but also to maintain.
Typical cons and weak sides
There are also weak sides:
- If you buy a low-power model, the pressure of the heated water will not be strong, because water had to be heated for seconds$;
- Parameters of electrical wiring are important for equipment. A normal 220V line is not enough, and there is a requirement for 380V power line;
- Another significant disadvantage is a rather high consumption of electricity, the cost of which constantly goes up. Despite the fact that electricity will be expended only during operation of the device, the utility bills can grow, because for the immediate heating of the water there is need in higher power;
- If you want to buy a budget version of tankless water heater with a fixed heating capacity, then in warm and cold seasons, water indicators can vary at the same pressure up to 15-18 degrees. So in winter days, the liquid will heat up to 30-35 degrees, and in the summer – up to 40-50 degrees.
To sum up
The tankless water heater have a large number of advantages. If you don’t have enough space for device installation and do not expect to use it all the time, this option will be the best for you. A wide variety of models will allow you to choose the optimal device for your particular case.